NIE number in Spain: Key Point to Buy a Property
When you sign property deeds and buy a property in Spain as a foreigner, you will be asked to present your foreign number. The Spanish NIE number (Foreign Identification Number in Spain) can help accomplish many official processes in Spain. Please read our article carefully if you want to learn how to get an NIE number in Spain.
What is the Spanish NIE number?
The NIE number in Spain is a tax number that identifies foreigners. It’s used to register them with the federal, regional and city governments. In English, it means ‘Foreigner’s Identification Number’ and in Spanish ‘Número de Identificación de Extranjero’ (NIE). You will need this number for different services, including;
- to hire utilities,
- for internet service,
- Accepting employment,
- to attend school,
- for paying taxes,
- Opening a bank account in a Spanish Bank,
- to apply for a vehicle license,
- Buying property in Spain, etc.
What types of NIE exist?
There are two types of NIE numbers in Spain. The first type of NIE is for the European Union (EU) citizens and other European countries citizens who intend to live in Spain. The second type is for people from every other country in the world.
EU Citizen or Resident NIE.
This number is registered on a document called a ‘Registration Certificate’ (Certificado de registro como residente comunitario). It’s a small paper card with the person’s name and the Spanish NIE number (Foreign Identification Number) written on it. Only citizens of the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Switzerland, who reside in Spain for three months, can apply.
Remember, EU Citizens already have the right to live and work in Spain. However, they need this certificate to obtain the NIE.
This is a piece of paper with the person’s name and NIE. It’s for two sets of people:
- Citizens of the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Switzerland, who do NOT plan on living in Spain for more than three months during any 365-day period.
- Everybody else such as all non-EU-citizens including Americans like me. This NIE only allows you to do certain acts in Spain; it does NOT allow you to live or work here. If a non-EU-citizens wants to live legally in Spain, they must go through the immigration process and obtain a Residence Permit (Visa). We work with a Spanish immigration attorney, feel free to contact us with any questions.
How Do I Get my NIE number in Spain?
Procedures are different for EU and Non-EU citizens. Let’s examine both separately.
For EU citizens, what is required to get an NIE number in Spain?
You should apply for an EU registration certificate at a police station (comisaria) in the Spanish town where you live. You’ll need the following documents. It’s a long list because you will be living in Spain.
You can also apply at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your resident country. For example, if you live in England, you can apply to the Spanish embassy in England. You will need all the documents listed below for applying to the Spanish NIE;
- Copy of the Appointment. You request an appointment online and, if made, you’ll receive a confirmation.
- You’ll need to show this at the police station.
- The NIE Application and a copy on form EX-15
- Your Passport and a copy
- Your Empadronamiento Certificate. This is issued by a City Government Office in the neighborhood where you live.
- Health Insurance. You can prove this in one of two ways:
- Show you have a job contract in Spain, or are registered as an autonomo (free-lance) worker in Spain. If so you are enrolled in Spain’s health program.
- Submit a full-coverage policy from a private company, preferably one in Spain. We can recommend one.
- Money. A bank account that shows the funds listed below as of July 2017. A Spanish bank account is preferred.
- 5,136.60€ for the applicant
- 8,732.22€ for the applicant plus one dependent
- 12,327.84€ for the applicant plus two dependents
- 15,923.46€ for the applicant and three dependents
- Dependents. If you apply with a non-Spanish spouse or non-Spanish child(ren), you must show:
- Your Marriage Certificate
- Spouse’s Passport
- Child’s Birth Certificate or Passport
For Non-EU citizens, what is required to get a NIE number in Spain?
You should apply at the Spanish Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) in your town or city. In addition, you can apply at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your resident country. You should submit the following documents:
- The NIE Application and a copy on form EX-15,
- Your Passport and a copy of it,
- A notarized letter from a Spanish Notary Public explaining the reason why you’re requesting a NIE.
I Need Help Getting an Spanish NIE number
Like any bureaucratic matter, the procedure can be complicated and time-consuming. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Mark Carr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 664 665 365.